At Pepco, safety is our top priority. We are closely monitoring developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and taking appropriate precautions to protect the health and safety of our customers, employees, and contractors. We are only scheduling no-contact pickup appointments at this time. If you would prefer an in-home pickup appointment, we can add you to our priority list and will contact you to schedule your appointment once in-home pickups resume. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience during this challenging time. Please check back soon for updates.
Appliance Recycling Program
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
At Pepco, safety is our top priority. We’re closely monitoring developments related to COVID-19 and taking appropriate precautions to protect the health and safety of our customers, contractors and employees. At this time, we are only scheduling no-contact pickups where appliances are collected from outside of customer residences. If you would like to schedule an in-home pickup appointment, you can do so by joining our priority list and we will contact you to schedule your appointment once in-home pickups resume.
During your no-contact pickup, our team will be wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including masks, safety glasses, and disposable gloves. Our staff will not initiate contact with you, maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet, and properly sanitize before and after each pickup.
At this time, we are only collecting appliances from designated locations outside of customer residences. Designated locations include garages, porches, and outbuildings. This allows our staff to safely collect and recycle your appliances without entering your home or any physical contact.
At this time, we are not scheduling in-home appliance pickups. However, you can join our priority list and a representative will contact you to schedule an in-home pickup once they resume.
Schedule your appointment online or call 1-877-743-3117.
An adult age 18 or older must be present in the home at the time of pickup.
- You must be a Pepco residential electric customer with a valid account number. Your appliance(s) will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier, or room air conditioner.
- The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 30 cubic feet.
- Your appliance(s) must be plugged in, so the driver can verify it is in working condition. We are unable to accept any units with mold or mildew damage.
- Ensure the appliance waterline is disconnected, the drip pan is drained, and the unit is properly defrosted.
- The refrigerator, freezer and/or dehumidifier must be cleaned out, and room air conditioner must be removed from window prior to pickup.
- You must ensure that the appliance is secured (door must be taped shut) and cannot be opened by children.
- The appliance(s) must be plugged in to ensure it is in working condition. If the appliance cannot be plugged in it will be tested back at the facility. If the appliance(s) is found to not be in working condition, you will not be eligible to receive a rebate.
- Ensure a clear and safe passage for unit removal.
- Clearly mark the units for pickup with a marker or post-it/sticky note to indicate the unit is for recycling pickup.
- Print, sign, and place your customer authorization form inside the appliance. If the signed form is not present, the collection team will not be able to collect your appliance and the appointment will be rescheduled.
If you are unable to print the required customer authorization form, contact us at 1-877-743-3117 to have the form mailed to you.
There is a limit of two large appliances (refrigerators and/or freezers) and two small appliances (room air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers) per residential account per year. The small appliances must be picked up in conjunction with a refrigerator and/or freezer pickup.
No, you will only need one customer authorization form. Simply mark the quantity of each appliance in the designated area on the form and place inside one of the appliances.