Giant Serves Savings in Every Aisle
Giant Food designed a sustainable retailing strategy to reduce the environmental impact at its 150+ locations while maintaining its mission to provide customers with a simple and easy shopping experience. To help achieve its goal, Giant partnered with Pepco’s Energy Savings for Business Program to make a variety of energy-efficient improvements at each of the stores in Pepco’s service territory.
Click here to read Giant Food's complete success story.
- Working in tandem, Giant, Retail Business Services and Pepco decided that making upgrades to lighting and to condensation controls in freezers presented the best opportunity to improve energy efficiency across the board
- Giant installed anti-sweat heater control systems at 27 of its stores
- The company also installed new LED lighting and a wireless lighting control system for automatic dimming at 14 of its stores
- Energy savings of approximately 2,949,849 kilowatt-hours annually
- Total cost savings of $353,982 annually
- Lower operating costs
- Positive response to the lighting upgrades from employees and customers